Monday, July 21, 2014

I'm back! Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen Review

  Hey! As you can see, I'm back. Been away for a while, I know. Anyway, I'm back now and I have a review for you! It's a review on Lock and Key which is a book by Sarah Dessen and a book I like a lot.

  So here's my review:

  Book Title: Lock and Key
  Author: Sarah Dessen
  Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

I will start off by saying that I have not felt so much from a book in a long while.

Ruby is a 17 year old girl entirely used to being independent. With an unreliable mother, she's basically been taking care of the both of them for a while. Then, when her mother abandons her she is forced to go live with her older sister, who she hasn't seen in years.

Suddenly, her world is upside down. She's faced with a new house, a new school, and a new life and everything she thought she knew is being questioned.

Along with her new neighbor Nate, she discovers the true meaning of friendship, life, and a very important thing: family.

Okay, so don't laugh at my summary up there. I just thought I'd try my hand. Excuse me if it's not completely accurate but I'm getting better right? Hopefully...

Anyway, this book was amazing! It was beautiful, it was poignant, it made me FEEL. As I said at the start, I have not felt this much from a book in quite a while. I teared up during this book and if you know me, crying over books doesn't come easily.

I was completely attuned to Ruby throughout this book. When she hurt, I hurt. When she rose up, so did I. When she branched out, my chest swelled with pride. That's how much I felt this book. Never before have I felt so in tune with a character. Or maybe I have. I have a short term memory anyway, so who knows? :D

The thing with Nate really added greatly to theme and voice of this book. When she realized that maybe he wasn't so different from her after all. When she had to reach out to him and touch the same sore spots she hadn't wanted to be touched herself. I kind of knew that there would be something more with him too.

Also, I liked all the characters in this book. I think Harriet and Olivia tie for favorite. Gervais comes close.

Anyway I hope I haven't spoiled anything and I also hope this review was enough. As I continually say, I'm not that good at reviews. Not really the type to do a lot of them.

So, all in all, I loved this book and I'm glad I made myself read it despite my initial misgiving that it'd be some dry chick-lit that I'd be bored to death with. Another point for Sarah Dessen I guess.

Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out. 


 So, I just want you to know that I copied and pasted this from my goodreads. The link to that is here: 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1001693362?book_show_action=false 

 I just really didn't feel like writing a whole separate review. Anyway, taht's pretty much it.

Read on, my friend,

Sumiyya <3

No comments:

Post a Comment